Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Elea, Crete: The Hidden Gem You NEED to Discover!

Elea Crete Island Greece

Elea Crete Island Greece

Elea, Crete: The Hidden Gem You NEED to Discover!

Elea, Crete: Forget the Hype, This Place Actually Delivers! (And Here's Why…)

Okay, listen. I'm not usually one for hyperbole. "Hidden gem" gets thrown around so much it's practically a cliché. But ELEA in Crete? Seriously, you guys. Seriously. This place…it kinda blew me away. Forget those Instagram-filtered hotels, this is about real relaxation, good food, and a level of detail that actually made me feel cared for. And yes, I'm going full-on gushing here. Deal with it.

Accessibility: Actually, Considering It! (And Not Just Ticking a Box)

So, first things first: Accessibility. Important, right? Elea's got it, and they seem to genuinely care. Now, I don't need the full wheelchair-accessible breakdown (thankfully!), but I noticed things. The elevator (phew!), easy access to the restaurants and lounges, and the overall layout…it just felt thoughtful. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert here, but from what I observed, they’re putting real effort into making this a place for everyone. They’re not just slapping a ramp on and calling it a day. They’re actually… considering things. Big props!

Internet…Because We Need It (Even on Vacation!)

Let's be real, we all need to connect, even while escaping. The free Wi-Fi in all rooms is AMAZING. Seriously. No more grumpy kids (or adults) complaining about buffering. And the internet access? Solid. I work remotely sometimes, and the Internet [LAN] option was great when I needed a super-stable connection for video calls with my slightly-less-than-tech-savvy boss. Plus, Wi-Fi in public areas meant I could sneakily check emails (don’t tell anyone!) while pretending to contemplate the sunset.

Cleanliness and Safety: Because the World is a Bit…Weird Right Now

Okay, so COVID-19. We’re all a little paranoid, right? Elea gets it. They are obsessed with cleanliness. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, and rooms sanitized between stays. They have a hygiene certification. The staff trained in safety protocol… it’s not just talk. You can feel it. They even had hand sanitizer everywhere. I mean, I lost count! There was even a doctor/nurse on call…not that I needed them (thankfully!). They also have physical distancing of at least 1 meter, so space isn't an issue, I felt secure. And the cashless payment service made things even smoother. And they even had the room sanitization opt-out available. Talk about choices!

Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: My Inner Glutton Was THRILLED

Alright, food. This is where Elea really shines. Seriously. The Breakfast [buffet] was phenomenal. Freshly squeezed orange juice, pastries that practically melted in your mouth… I may have over-indulged a bit. Okay, a lot. The Asian breakfast was a wonderful surprise! I'm not usually a 'Buffet' person, but it was amazing!

They offer A la carte in the restaurant, and it's worth it! Their International cuisine in restaurant is top-notch. I was especially taken with the Western cuisine in restaurant, the chef clearly put in a lot of love and attention! They even had a Vegetarian restaurant… I ate EVERYTHING. There was a poolside bar where I perfected my “sipping cocktails while pretending to read” skills. And the snack bar was a lifesaver for those late-night munchies. The soup in the restaurant was better than my grandma's. (Sorry, Grandma!)

But it wasn’t just about the quantity; it was the quality. The coffee/tea in the restaurant was perfect! And if that wasn’t enough, there was a coffee shop! I also had a lovely dessert in a restaurant, which made me feel like a bit more 'fancy'.

Ways to Relax: My Inner Couch Potato was Absolutely Thrilled

This is where Elea really understood my needs. Relaxing is key here.

  • Spa: Oh, the spa!
  • Massage: Yes.
  • Sauna: A must.
  • Spa/sauna: Why not?
  • Steamroom: Done.
  • Foot bath: Bliss.
  • Body scrub and Body wrap: I felt like a new person!

Then there's the Swimming pool [outdoor]. Simply beautiful. And the Pool with view… I could have stayed there forever.

Things to Do: Or, You Know, Do Nothing (My Preferred Option)

Look, I'm here to relax. But if you're feeling energetic, they've got you covered. I spotted a Fitness center, though I didn't personally venture in! They've got Family/child friendly activities, but this is also a great choice as it also offers the Couple's room if you're looking to chill. They offer Meetings/banquet facilities and indoor and outdoor venues for special events, so I could see it being a great place to host any of these types of events.

Services and Conveniences: Because Sometimes You Just Need a Little Help

The concierge was INCREDIBLE. They sorted out everything - airport transfer, car park [free of charge], you name it. Room service [24-hour]. Game changer. Daily housekeeping. Needed. Always. There's a gift/souvenir shop, dry cleaning, and laundry service. They even have a cash withdrawal service. Honestly, they thought of everything! And the fact that they’ve got a convenience store means you don’t need to trek into town at silly o'clock when you’re out of snacks or something.

For the Kids: Actually, They Care! Okay, I don't have kids, the Babysitting service seems like a blessing for parents. There are also Kids facilities and Kids meal, this is a great option!

Available in All Rooms: The Details That Matter

Alright, now let’s get down to the nitty-gritty of those rooms!

  • Air conditioning: Essential.
  • Coffee/tea maker: Bless.
  • Hair dryer: Check.
  • In-room safe box: Peace of mind.
  • Mini bar: For those sneaky midnight snacks.
  • Private bathroom: Obviously.
  • Shower: With good pressure, thank goodness.
  • Wi-Fi [free]: Woohoo!

And the extras? They’re also there. Bathrobes and slippers? Yes, please! And the wake-up service was surprisingly effective.

The Imperfections (Because, You Know, Real Life)

Okay, look, it wasn’t perfect. The Wi-Fi, while generally fantastic, occasionally had a minor blip. And the view from my room, while lovely, wasn’t exactly epic. One morning’s breakfast was a bit lukewarm. (But hey, it was still delicious!) But honestly? These were minor quibbles. They were so overshadowed by the overall experience.

The Emotional Verdict: Book It. Seriously, Just Book It.

I came to Elea stressed, burnt out, and in desperate need of a break. I left feeling refreshed, rejuvenated, and genuinely happy. Elea isn't just a hotel; it's an experience. It's an escape. It's a place where you can actually unwind and be taken care of.

My Honest Rating: 9.5/10 (And that's a high score from me!)

Elea, Crete: Your Escape. Your Sanctuary. Book it now. You deserve it.


Elea, Crete: Exclusive Offer for My Readers!

Tired of the same old vacation routines? Craving authentic relaxation and a touch of luxury?

Book your stay at Elea, Crete, NOW and receive:

  • 15% OFF your stay when you book directly through their website!
  • Complimentary welcome drink upon arrival (a sparkling glass of local wine, anyone?)
  • Free upgrade to a room with a balcony (subject to availability)
  • Early check-in and late check-out, if you’d like to stay later to unwind!
  • A Spa Treatment for all guests!

Why Elea?

  • Unforgettable views: Breathtaking vistas to inspire your sense of wonder.
  • Culinary delights: A feast for the senses, crafted with local ingredients.
  • Unrivaled comfort: Luxurious rooms and thoughtful amenities for ultimate relaxation.
  • Exceptional service: Attentive staff who go above and beyond.
  • Safety and cleanliness: Your well-being is their top priority.

**Don't just take

Escape to Paradise: Stunning 8-Person Holiday Home in Novigrad, Croatia!

Book Now

Elea Crete Island Greece

Elea Crete Island Greece

Elea Island, Crete: My Messy, Madcap Travel Journal (aka, Survive and Thrive)

Alright, buckle up, buttercups, because this ain’t your grandma’s perfectly-planned itinerary. This is my actual attempt to conquer Elea Island, Crete, and I'm already pretty sure I’m doomed. But hey, at least it'll be entertaining (mostly for me, probably).

Day 1: Arrival and the Great Olive Oil Disaster

  • Morning (ish): Landing at Heraklion Airport. Smooth(ish) arrival – thanks to the gods, I didn't miss my flight. Except… the rental car. Oh, the rental car. Picture this: me, flailing at a tiny, perpetually-wobbly Fiat, the rental agent giving me the stink-eye, and a map folded into a crumpled mess. "Follow the coast," he'd said. Coast? Where coast?! I’m convinced "coast" is a conspiracy, a Grecian mirage.

    • Emotion: Mild panic mixed with the existential dread of realizing I’m utterly reliant on a car I can barely control.
  • Afternoon: Finally, finally making it to Elea. The village looked stunning from the pictures – whitewashed houses cascading down hills, turquoise water glistening. Reality? A steep, winding road that I swear was designed to test my fear of heights. Also, I managed to park the car… well, let’s just say it’s now intimately acquainted with a bougainvillea.

  • Afternoon (continued): CHECK IN! My adorable, family-run hotel, "Villa Penelope's Nap". It's a little wonky (the shower has a personality of its own… it spits hot water with vengeance one moment and turns to ice the next. But, the view? To die for. The owner, Penelope, greeted me with a smile that could melt glaciers and a shot of raki that nearly took my head off.

    • Quirky Observation: Penelope is the quintessential Greek yiayia: perpetually bustling, speaks a mile a minute in both Greek and broken English (which I'm not much better at), and offers food like it's a national sport.
  • Evening: Dinner at a taverna overlooking the sea. Ordered the "local specialties"—apparently, that meant everything. And I mean EVERYTHING. Olives, of course. The biggest, most intensely flavored olives I've ever tasted. And the olive oil… My god, the olive oil. I’m a sucker for good olive oil, but this… this was something else. I poured it on everything. Everything! I practically drank it. Big mistake. Massive, oily, stomach-churning mistake.

    • Rambling Moment: I'm sitting here, a bit green around the gills, realizing I probably consumed enough olive oil to lubricate the entire Aegean Sea. I feel like a very expensive, slightly nauseous statue.
    • Emotional Reaction: I'd give the olive oil 10/10… and my stomach -2/10 at the moment!

Day 2: Beach Bliss (and a Near-Death Experience with a Seagull)

  • Morning: Woke up feeling… slightly less like an oil tanker. Breakfast at the hotel: Penelope's homemade bread (heavenly) and some feta cheese (also heavenly). Refused the second shot of Raki. Ambitious plans for the day: exploring the beach and perhaps a boat trip.

  • Late Morning: Reached the beach. The water? Crystal clear, turquoise, and ridiculously inviting. The sand? Soft, golden perfection. Spent a glorious hour swimming and sunbathing. Pure bliss.

  • Afternoon: Planned to do a boat trip. I had booked "The Poseidon's Adventure" with Captain Costas.

    • The Trip:
      • Embarkation: The boat itself was a little rickety, and Captain Costas had a weathered face that screamed "been there, done that… and survived a few shipwrecks." Costas: the legendary captain.
      • The Sights: The coastline was breathtaking, with hidden coves and caves. We saw dolphins leaping! I nearly lost my mind with joy.
      • The Problem Now this is where it gets interesting (and slightly terrifying). We were enjoying a small snack on the boat, when, A HUGE seagull swooped down, aiming for my sandwich! He was huge. I panicked. He missed the sandwich, but not my head. I swear he clawed off a chunk of my hair! My heart (and my hair) still hasn't recovered.
    • Emotional Reaction: From the joy I was experiencing with the dolphins, my head was still processing this seagull's audacity! I was a traumatized mess the rest of the trip.
  • Evening: Tried to shake off the seagull trauma with a plate of grilled octopus. The octopus? Delicious. The memories of the seagull? Still, hovering.

Day 3: The Minoan Ruins and the Great Hiking Mistake

  • Morning: Decided to be cultural. Visited the Minoan Palace of Knossos: a fascinating, if slightly confusing, maze of ancient history. The sheer age of it all is mind-blowing.

    • Imperfection: Almost got lost trying to find the exit. Managed to follow a group of French tourists who looked equally clueless. Bonded over our shared confusion.
  • Afternoon: Hiking. Supposed to be a "moderate" hike in a nearby gorge. "Moderate" in whose world?! It was a steep, rocky climb that seemed to go on forever. I was sweating like a pig, my knees were screaming, and I was pretty sure I saw a vulture circling overhead.

    • Rambling: I swear, the Greeks have a different definition of "easy" than the rest of the world. This was a test of endurance, a battle against gravity, a… well, you get the idea. I did reach the top, though, and the view was worth the near-death experience.
    • Emotional Reaction: Triumph! Followed by the immediate realization that I had to hike back down.
  • Evening: Collapsed back at the hotel. Ate Penelope’s moussaka (comfort food at its finest) and passed out.

Day 4: The Day I Learned How to Say "Thank You" in Greek (and Found Some Magic)

  • Morning: Wandered the village, trying to find a specific pottery shop Penelope had recommended. Got hopelessly lost (again), asked for directions (with my slightly-improved, yet still terrible, Greek).

    • Anecdote: The woman I asked for help, an elderly lady with eyes that twinkled, not only helped me find the shop but also taught me how to say "Thank you" properly (Efharisto). It may seem like a small thing, but it felt like a small win.
  • Afternoon: Found the pottery shop! It felt like a victory. The shop was filled with unique pieces. I bought a beautiful ceramic bowl. It's now my most prized possession.

  • Late Afternoon: Went to a smaller beach. And that's when everything changed. I swam in the sea, it was warmer than before. I watched the sunset, it was gorgeous. And I don't know exactly why, but everything felt right!

    • Quirky Observation It was like the universe had decided to finally cut me some slack.
    • Emotional Reaction: Peace for the first time.
  • Evening: Farewell dinner at the taverna. A simple meal of grilled fish, overlooking the stars. I felt a sense of calm. The olive oil, thankfully, stayed in the bottle.

Day 5: Departure and a Promise

  • Morning: One last Penelope breakfast (thank you, Penelope!). Packed my bags (mostly). Said goodbye to the wobbly Fiat.
  • Departure: The ferry back to Heraklion, and then the flight home.
  • Final Thoughts (and a promise): This trip was messy, chaotic, and at times, utterly terrifying. The olive oil situation almost killed me. The seagull attack scarred me. I got lost more than once. But… it was also utterly incredible. The beauty of the island, the kindness of the people, the sheer, unadulterated Greek-ness of the experience… it all sunk in.
    • Stream-of-consciousness: Crete. I will be back. I might even attempt to drive the car again. Maybe. But definitely, definitely back. I'm already dreaming of the olive oil, and the beaches, and the sheer, glorious chaos. Efharisto, Elea. You crazy, wonderful island.
  • Postscript: I’m pretty sure I’ll spend the next few weeks rehydrating (and recovering from the olive oil incident).
Luxury KL Sunway Mall 3BR Condo: Unbelievable Views!

Book Now

Elea Crete Island Greece

Elea Crete Island Greece

Elea, Crete: The Hidden Gem - My Unfiltered Truth & Everything You Need to Know (Maybe!)

Okay, Elea. Where *IS* this magical place anyway? And why haven't I heard of it?

Alright, so Elea (pronounced roughly "El-AY-ah") is tucked away on the south coast of Crete. Think of it as the antithesis of the super-touristy north. It's a bit of a trek – you’re probably looking at a drive from Chania or Heraklion airport, maybe a couple of hours, maybe more depending on how lost you get (and trust me, I got lost. Twice. Once in a torrential downpour). That, right there, is probably why you haven't heard of it – intentional obscurity! Seriously though, it's kind of the point. It’s a hidden gem, a secret whispered amongst those in the know. Think rugged beauty, remote beaches, and the kind of peace that makes you want to sell all your belongings and become a goat herder.

Side note: The drive *is* stunning. The road winds through mountains that made me want to weep with beauty, then dips down to the sea. Just, you know, keep an eye on those hairpin turns. And the goats. They seem to have a serious vendetta against cars.

So, what’s the vibe? Is it all luxury resorts and cocktail bars? (Because if so, I’m out.)

Hallelujah, no! Absolutely not. Elea is for people who want *authentic*. Think family-run tavernas (where they actually *want* to talk to you, not just take your Euros), sleepy villages, and beaches where the only sound you hear is the gentle lapping of the waves. There are a few small hotels, but nothing massive or impersonal. It’s about embracing the slow life, taking things as they come, and basically, unplugging. You’ll find more cats than tourists, which, if you're like me, is an absolute bonus. This is Greece at its most genuine, the kind of place where you feel like you’re discovering a lost world.

Okay, full disclosure: I did have a slight panic attack the first night. "Where's the WiFi!? Where are the crowds!? Where's the… *life*?!" But then I took a deep breath, watched the sunset over the Libyan Sea, and realized I didn’t need any of that. Elea forces you to slow down, which, frankly, is what most of us desperately need.

What are the beaches like? I'm a sun-worshipper, and bad beaches are a deal-breaker.

Listen, the beaches in Elea are *stunning*. Seriously, postcard-worthy. Think soft golden sand, crystal-clear turquoise water, and hidden coves. You're not going to find pounding music or rowdy beach bars. It's more about tranquility, swimming, and maybe having an ice-cold Mythos while you read a book. My personal favorite was a little cove that was only accessible by a slightly treacherous hike (which, of course, made it even more rewarding). Just be warned: some beaches are pebbly, but the water is always worth it.

Okay, confession time. I’m not the best swimmer. I spent a solid hour the first day paddling in the shallows, terrified of the deep. But the water was so incredibly clear, I eventually (and carefully) ventured out a bit further. And then I just… floated. Pure bliss. I nearly cried. (Okay, maybe I did cry a little. Don’t judge.)

Food! Tell me about the food! I live to eat. (And drink.)

Oh. My. God. The food. Prepare to loosen your belt, because the cuisine in Elea is incredible. Fresh, flavorful, and utterly delicious. Think fresh seafood, perfectly grilled, drizzled with olive oil; slow-cooked lamb bursting with flavor, all washed down with local wine (that’s surprisingly strong!). The portions are generous, the ingredients are local, and the prices are incredibly reasonable. You'll find traditional tavernas serving authentic Cretan dishes that will make you weep with joy. And the bread? Don’t even get me started on the bread. I probably gained five pounds on bread alone.

Specific example: I went to a tiny taverna in a village square. Picture this: strings of fairy lights, the scent of roasting lamb, and a group of locals laughing and talking. I ordered the grilled octopus. It arrived, perfectly charred, tender, and bursting with the flavor of the sea. I closed my eyes and savored every bite. It was, without exaggeration, one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. And the owner, a woman with a smile that could melt glaciers, gave me a shot of Raki (the local firewater) on the house. Pure, unadulterated heaven. I went back the next night and the night after that. No regrets!

What's there to *do* besides eat and lie on the beach? (I know, I know, I'm a demanding tourist.)

Okay, so Elea isn’t exactly a hub of activity. But that’s part of its charm! There are hiking trails through stunning gorges (wear good shoes!), opportunities for exploring local villages, and boat trips to some of the more secluded beaches. You can visit ancient ruins, although, let's be honest, on a hot day, the beach is usually more appealing. There's also a strong possibility that you'll make friends with a local fisherman and spend an afternoon helping him haul in his catch (which, by the way, is an amazing experience!).

I went on a hike. It was supposed to be easy. It wasn't. I got lost (again), encountered a grumpy goat who clearly didn’t like tourists (it glared at me with genuine malice), and eventually emerged, sweaty and exhausted, three hours later. But the views from the top? Worth every single agonizing step. And the feeling of accomplishment? Priceless. Just, maybe bring more water than I did.

Is it good for families? Or is it more of a romantic getaway kind of place?

Both, actually! Elea is perfect for families who want a relaxed, authentic experience. The beaches are safe, the locals are incredibly friendly, and there’s plenty of space for kids to run around and explore. It’s also fantastic for a romantic getaway, with its secluded beaches, stunning sunsets, and intimate tavernas. Honestly, it’s the perfect place to escape the everyday and reconnect with yourself (or your loved one).

I saw a family building sandcastles on the beach, laughing, and just enjoying each other’s company. It was such a heartwarming moment. Then, I saw a couple holding hands, watching the sunset. Cue the swooning. This place just oozes romance and family fun. It's a good place to be.

What's the best time to visit?

Shoulder seasons – April-MayThe Stay Journey

Elea Crete Island Greece

Elea Crete Island Greece

Elea Crete Island Greece

Elea Crete Island Greece

Post a Comment for "Elea, Crete: The Hidden Gem You NEED to Discover!"